Friday, December 10, 2010

The Legend of the Sand Dollar

The Legend of the Sand Dollar Ornament

The Legend of the Sand Dollar

There's a lovely little legend
that I would like to tell,
of the birth and death of Jesus,
found in this lowly shell.

If you examine closely,
you'll see that you find here,
four nail holes and a fifth one,
made by a Roman's spear.


On one side the Easter lily,
its center is the star,
that appeared unto the shepherds
and led them from afar.

The Christmas Poinsettia
etched on the other side,
reminds us of His birthday,
our happy Christmastide.

Now break the center open,
and here you will release,
the five white doves awaiting,
to spread Good Will and Peace.

This simple little symbol,
Christ left for you and me,
to help us spread His Gospel,
through all Eternity.

Author Unknow

I remember reading this poem at my Grandparents house as a little girl. That was the first place I ever saw a sand dollar. In 2008 Our family headed back to WA state to visit my husbands family. We were able to spend a few days at a quiet beach. There I found myself a great collection of sand dollars. I knew exactly what I was going to do with them when I got them back to Wisconsin.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, packaging design and had a blast coming up with this boxes design.

I made these for my family and a few friends. It is still one of my favorite ornaments on our tree. It reminds me of a great family vacation, my grandparents, and the great reason for this season.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment