Friday, October 15, 2010

Baby Shower Quilt

I co-hosted a baby shower for a dear friend. We decided to try something I'd never done before. As we talked the idea evolved and we came up with this. Each guest that came traced their hand onto a piece of fabri backed with "wonder-under". We cut out all the hands afterwards and I took them home. Then began the real work... and real fun.

The center of the quilt says "Helping Hands" to remind our friend of everyone who is here to lend a hand when needed.
This is a detail from my favorite part of the quilt. Using my darning foot I was able to quilt butterflies around the border of the quilt. How fun is that! To add a little more fun I used the thread that changes colors as you go from white to lavendar to purple and back again. Too much fun!
I then went in and quilted in the names of all the people at the shower onto their handprint.

You can see "holly" pretty well on this hand.
I loved getting to play with my quilting skills on this project. I may struggle with the straight lines, but curly and crazy ones are a breeze. Oh well, we already knew I wasn't normal.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: