Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Activity Day Girls


I have the priviledge of holding the most fun calling in the church. (he he he!) I am the Activity Days leader. I get to plan activities for the girls between ages 8 and 11. We work towards reaching their Faith in God Award and also just try to have a lot of fun learning new things.
Last week we made our announcements for our mother-daughter activity; a Girl's Night Out. It is always so fun to work with these girls. Recently we have also learned to decorate cakes, made Pinewood derby cars, Mother's Day Soap Sundaes and rice pack heating pads. They are such great girls and a lot of fun to be with!
For the cake decorating I had each of the girls come with a cake that was frosted with white frosting. I then made 5 lbs of icing. (Yes, 5 pounds!!!) and a sister in our ward brought her tools and we got to work. We were also able to acquire tools from the Young Women who had previously done this activity and I brought my fabulous set that I now actually know how to use.
Happy Mother's Day. The girl's helped me whip up these fabulous bath beads for their moms. We found a great recipe through sugardoodle.net. It was an inexpensive and easy project with great results. The frustrating part was that Dairy Queen charged me for the cups. (I know it does NOT cost .50 to make those plastic cups, but.... we'll just let that go.)
My very first activity with these girls involved 11 girls, 4 sewing machines, and a bunch of rice. We had one hour to pull it off and we did! Each of the girls left with their own microwaveable heating pack. ( I had the girls bring their own fabric from home and I also provided some).
Pinewood Derby cars!!! One of our girl's Dad is amazing with wood and more specifically with these cars. I have never seen anything before like what he has made. He was kind enough to invite us to his garage where we went pinewood crazy! These girls had so much fun designing, making and painting their own cars, not to mention racing them at the ward Pinewood Derby.

1 comment: